Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Back to Normal?

Today was my first day back to work since the surgery.

It's funny because I thought I would be going back to work the week following my surgery since that is what I did after my last surgery.

I told the scheduler that I couldn't do my post op the Friday following surgery because I had to work. She said, "Oh honey, you won't be working the week after surgery."

I said, "Really? I went to work the week after my last surgery."

"Yeah. And what kind of surgery was that?"

"An excisional biopsy."

"Okay. Well, this is going to be a little more extensive. We're talking about a complete thyroidectomy and right neck dissection."

The nurse then called me and wondered if my job involved lifting at all. When I told her I was a nanny for two-year-old twins, she laughed and informed me that I would not be going back to work for a while.

Today I found out why they said these things. I am exhausted. I did not realize how much I would need the help of my 6-year-old daughter today, but I became aware very soon of how invaluable she was to me. Wow. Two-year-olds.

I work again tomorrow and Friday, so I hope I gain strength as I go instead of losing it.

It's good to be back in the swing of things, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment