Monday, July 27, 2009

Broken Cisterns

"My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water."
Jeremiah 2:13

I heard an amazing sermon Sunday dealing with this passage. I will put a link to it once it is posted on the church website. It was extremely moving and convicting.

It is important to note that "My people" would not be referring to those outside the church but those within. American churches are full of people who are no longer finding their fulfillment in the spring of living water, but are filling their lives full of stuff that will never satisfy in their search for meaning and significance.

We are trading springs for cisterns, and they are broken cisterns at that.

1 comment:

  1. You're so right. I can't wait to read the sermon. We Christians have forgotten how to fast, how to deny ourselves, how to take up our crosses, and how to be like Christ. We are so into our comfort zones and our materialism. Me, included. Mom

    ReplyDelete