Friday, October 9, 2009

A Cultural and Spiritual Experience

Remember a while back when I mentioned my Liberian friends coming over and singing and praying over me? Well, they did it again. The day I found out I was cancer free, one of them called to hear what the report was. When my husband told her, she informed us that they were all coming over. At first, I didn't know quite what to think because it was 10:00 at night and my daughter was in bed trying to go to sleep. Once again, I was a little less than thrilled about their timing.

There was a pretty good-sized group that came over and sat in my living room waiting for me to get out of the shower. I could hear them in there singing and couldn't help but smile. When I came out of the bathroom, my daughter had gotten out of bed to see what the commotion was all about, and she was sitting on a chair in the living room, along with my husband, taking the whole scene in.

The group of them surrounded me with hugs and tears and were so happy that I had been healed. It was quite a demonstrative and dramatic response - very different from any of the reactions I had received from my American friends.

I did get some of the singing recorded, but I didn't want to seem too disrespectful by recording while they were praying. They took it very seriously and were not trying to entertain, so I didn't want them to think I thought it was all a big show. Here is some of what I recorded.



Just like before, I was blessed beyond anything a quiet night at home would have accomplished.

4 comments:

  1. That is so precious! I haven't met most of them, but I'm pretty sure I recognized Victoria :) What a blessing! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing this. it was inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Jenny, that was Victoria praying in the middle of the group. They are so special.

    Thanks for the comment "healthybratt." It was inspiring to me, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As it should be. Praising God for who He is and what He did. Thanks for sharing. That is so touching.

    ReplyDelete