Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My Love

One of the things I miss the most on my low-iodine diet is my milk. I use milk for my cereal, baking, etc. Furthermore, I can't have the essentials, like chocolate and ice-cream because of the milk in them.

So I set off on a quest to find some kind of substitute. At first, I thought maybe goat's milk would work. However, after asking the dairy guy at the store, I learned that goat's milk is considered dairy and has iodine in it, as well.

I can't have soy, so that eliminated that alternative.

Almond milk? It has sea salt in it (what??!!).

Oh!! I know! Oat's Milk! That will work! Until I read the label. It has soy in it, too. Why?

I was beginning to get quite discouraged and was on the verge of giving up.

And then, I saw it in the distance.

It was standing so tall and erect like a beacon in the night. I heard music playing softly in my head as I bridged the gap between us in slow motion, the wind gently blowing my hair in wisps across my face.

Coconut milk. I have found you at last. How have I ever lived before this moment. And the things you can do with ice-cream simply amaze me. Ours will be a long and beautiful relationship.

Yes, it will.

3 comments:

  1. LOL Yes I can definately see your dramatic side in this post. Hope everything is going well, we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coca isn't all that's nuts......
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the drama!! That was cute. Glad you found it. I've heard of rice milk but don't know what the ingredients are. Hope it won't be too hard to figure out foods you can substitute.

    ReplyDelete